What is the Legal Aid NSW Disaster Response Legal Service?
The Disaster Response Legal Service (DRLS) is a specialist service within Legal Aid NSW thatprovides free legal help for disaster affected individuals in NSW. Lawyers specialise in everyday legal issues that often arise following disasters, causing acute hardship if left unresolved. These include:
- house and car insurance (including temporary accommodation, cash settlements, debris removal, claims handling issues and disputes)
- housing and tenancy problems including in caravan parks
- financial hardship including loans, fines and debts
- workplace rights
- entitlements to disaster relief grants
- and other everyday legal problems.
Anyone can get free help:
- Contact the Disaster Response Legal Service NSW helpline on 1800 801 529 (9am-5pm weekdays) or visit the Legal Aid NSW Disaster Response Legal Service website for more information.
- Face to face legal assistance will be available at Recovery Centres and Recovery Assistance Points (RAPS), often in partnership with local Community Legal Centres and the Albury Legal Aid Office.
Short Video – DRLS, what we do
Five-minute video that sets out how the legal service can help – https://youtu.be/wBFUxU2jgzk