Get Ready for disasters
This year we’ve seen an unparalleled number of events impacting large areas of NSW happen in quick succession, highlighting the importance of being prepared for all hazards.
Our emergency service organisations do an incredible job keeping us safe, but they can only do so much.
Being aware and prepared is everyone’s responsibility.
Get Ready in five simple steps
- Know your risk – think about the area you’re in and the types of disasters that could affect you;
- Plan now for what you will do – sit down and talk with your family and plan for what you will do if a disaster affects your area;
- Get your home ready – prepare your home by doing general home maintenance and checking your insurance coverage;
- Be aware – find out how to prepare, what to do if there is a disaster in your area and connect with NSW emergency services to stay informed;
- Look out for each other – share information with your family, friends, neighbours and those who may need assistance.
|Prepare for bushfire Following the devastating 2019/20 bushfire season, communities are understandably keen to know more about getting ready in the lead up to the 2020/21 season. To support early planning and preparation, NSW Rural Fire Service will once again host their annual Get Ready Weekend on 19-20 September, in person and online. Follow your local RFS brigade’s Facebook page for information as it becomes available. You can also visit www.rfs.nsw.gov.au for more information.|