Close this search box.

Backyard Burning

Do’s and Don’ts of Backyard Burning

Under Schedule 8 of the Protection of the Environment Operations (Clean Air) Regulation 2002, backyard burning is permissible with approval through permit systems 

Residents of Balranald Township wishing to undertake “burn off activities” within the Balranald Township need to apply for a permit from the Local Fire and Rescue.

All “burn off activities” (vegetation only) outside of the Balranald Township, this will also include  Euston, a notification must go to the NSW Rural Fire Services through the online portal. 1 April to 30 September Notification only is required and can be done on line through the RFS Website.

The statutory Bush Fire Danger Period runs from 1 October to 31 March, however it may vary due to local conditions. If you are planning to light a fire in the open during this time, you will need a Fire Permit. – Permits and Notifications are required

Backyard Burning is restricted to the burning of dry vegetation produced on the property it is to be burnt on.

At no time is the burning of waste, especially domestic waste, permitted.

On the Spot Fines of $500 – $1000 apply for the following offences:

  • burning of anything other than vegetation
  • burning in an area where backyard burning is not permitted
  • burning without taking precautions to prevent air pollution
  • burning a prohibited substance:
    • tyres
    • coated wire
    • paint containers and residues
    • solvent containers and residues
    • timber treated with copper chromium arsenate (CCA) or pentachlorophenol (PCP)
What should I do before I burn anything in my backyard
  • contact your local NSW Fire Service or NSW Rural Fire Service for any permits and advice
  • if you are unsure about whether you are allowed to burn in your area, contact Council’s Environmental Health Officers on 03 5020 1300
NSW Rural Fire Service Announcement
Residents must give 24 hours notice of Intention to Burn Off

The NSW RFS has issued a notice to Balranald Shire residents advising that you must notify the Dareton Fire Control Centre and your neighbours 24 hours in advance of your intention to burn off. Please click on the link NSW Rural Fire Service – 24 Hour Notice of Intent to Burn for further information.

Where can I get further information

For further information please visit the Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water website.

Visit The Rural Fire Service webpage for more information on burning in rural areas.